Friday, September 17, 2010

just call me crunchy

I've become something I never in a million years thought I'd be.  A hippie.  Not really, but kind-of-sort-of.

I started cloth diapering both boys shortly after Kamden's arrival.  I love it.  I'm so glad I made the decision to just jump right in and do it.  Once you get into the cloth diapering world your eyes are opened to so many different ways of thinking. 

I already used reusable grocery bags, but now I can't stand plastic bags.  I've ordered some different cutesy bags that fold up really small to put in the diaper bag and stash in the van.  I plan to start using these bags at the mall and everywhere in between.  I use my cloth diaper wetbags for soiled diapers and clothes, wet swimsuits, anything you might normally put in a plastic grocery bag.

I use very few paper towels.  I am trying to go the un-paper towel route.  Dustin cuts the sleeves off his t-shirts for work in the summer so I've been using the shirt sleeves as my paper towels.  I use them to wipe off the counters, floors, and stove mostly.  I even use cloth baby wipes.  I just wash them with the diapers.  I use them to wipe faces and hands, too.  I love having less cost and waste!

I use the diva cup (if you don't know what it is look it up I'm not going into detail).  Best decision ever!  Freaking awesome.  No more gross crap in the garbage.  No more leakage.  I empty it when I take my morning shower and again sometime in the evening.  Easy-peasy.  Less cost and waste again!

Now here is where I'm going to start heading into hippie territory.  I am toying with the idea of 'no pooing'.  Internet speak for no shampoo.  You use 1 Tbsp of baking soda to 1 C of water.  From what I've read people's hair has never looked better and they wash it less often.  While I'm skeptical, I don't see what it would hurt.  I've read a lot lately about how horrible shampoo is for your hair, so I'm going to give this a try.  I guess there's a greasy detox period and I don't know how I'll handle that, but we'll see.  I'm a shower-and-wash-your-hair-everyday kind of girl so we shall see.  Oh, I almost forgot conditioner is 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinager to 1 C of water (up to 50/50 ratio).

The next hippie idea I'm going to try is the oil cleanse method to wash my face.  I've also heard rave reviews on this.  You use about 25% caster oil to 75% olive oil (or any number of oils).  Oil attracts oil and it's suppose to do wonders for your face.  The caster oil is suppose to pull all the gunk out of your pores.  Supposedly all the products we use that are oil-free are counter productive since it rids our faces of oil, so our body produces even more oil to replace it.  Which in turn starts a never ending cycle.  Much like with shampoo.

We'll see how it goes.  I probably will start Monday so I don't have gross hair or skin all weekend.  I may chicken out, but I like the idea and the inexpensive/enviro-friendly aspect of it.  I never thought I'd be so 'green', but I am just tired of all the waste.  Anybody want to join me in my ventures???

***I just remembered another crunchy mama thing I do.  Babywear.  I still use our strollers frequently, but use my mei tai, too.  I also keep my sling in the car incase I need to wear Kamden in a pinch.

2 comments:

  1. oooo you are boredline hippie!! :) i think a lot of people are definately going the 'crunchy' route these days w/ the reusable bags/cloth diapering..the shampooing one-i've heard about it and great things about it...im excited to see how you like it.

    just plleeeeeeeeeeease dont start dumpster diving for your groceries!! :D
    jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far so good. I need to mess around with my ratio's some. The oil cleanse is awesome.

    No, I will not be dumpster diving for my groceries. Although, there may be a coupon or two involved.

    ReplyDelete