Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Life after kids...

Lately I've noticed just how little I can relate to childless friends.  Or rather how little they can relate to me.

We went out for dinner and drinks with a friend from out of town on Friday.  At one point, she told us we were great birth control.  I was a little put off.  My kids may annoy the shit out of me, but I wouldn't trade them for anything.  EVER!  They may make certain things in life harder than I ever imagined (grocery shopping, eating at restaurants, church), but they can certainly make-up for all the trials and hardships with one little smile.

People without kids can never know how rewarding they are until they have their own.  It's just not possible.  You may think kids are cute or funny, but until it's your own child you will never understand the love and connection that is there.

Everything is awesome through your childs' eye's.  I have never been so happy to count to 20 or sing the ABC's.  Plus, the things that come out of their mouths are pure comic gold.  Every time your child learns something new it's so freaking exciting I can't even put it into words. 

What I'm trying to say is that I find myself growing closer to my mommy-friends and farther from my kidless-friends.  Let's face it, as a mom, especially a mom to young kids, everything in your life revolves around your children.  Friends that don't get the whole mom thing, don't get me.

Disclaimer - I don't think this really applies to those that are in family-mode with no kids.  There is a difference between wanting-kids-in-the-near-future and kids-are-not-on-my-radar-yet.

2 comments:

  1. I so have to show this to a friend of mine. She refuses to believe that she has excluded me out of the "circle" because I don't have children. It's like, I won't be allowed in the club unless I have the golden ticket to get it. It's understandable though. People grow apart and people's lives change.

    It just kinda feels awkward being the childless chick of the clique.

    oh, P.S..that chick that said you were great birth control would have gotten slapped! I don't have kids, but I would never say some crap like that....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Falen! In her defense we were telling some pretty bad stories, but still!

    Oh, and I'm still laughing about the beer at the basketball game. Bahahaha

    ReplyDelete